Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Aqua Farm Update 7 Jan 2014 - Dead Pump

The Aqua Farm hasn't been doing very well.  The air pump seems to have died.  For a while it was not making very good bubbles, and the water was not reaching the upper tray.  The water wouldn't circulate, and the system was not functioning properly.  I tried cutting the airline tube at different lengths to make better bubbles, and it seemed to work, but eventually the pump stopped making any bubbles at all.  I'm going to ask Back to the Roots if they'll send me a new air pump.  I may also try using an aquarium air pump next to the fish tank to supply the bubbles for the air lift.  Either way, I'm not happy with the system right now.  I'm hoping that I can tinker with it and make it work better.  On the bright side, I regrew some green onions in one of the grow pots, and ate them in a tasty turkey soup (Thanksgiving leftovers!).

Edit 10 Jan 2014 - Back to the Roots is going to send me a replacement air pump.  They recommended placing it outside the system, sitting vertically next to the tank.  They're also sending me new seed packets, and suggested that for the basil and lettuce I may need more light.  Great customer service!





I apologize profusely for the vertical video.  :(

No comments:

Post a Comment